Last week I heard of a company that did something truly brilliant.
One of their team members was headed in for open-heart surgery.
The company bought everyone Fitbits and for every 1 million steps in the month, the company donated $1000 to this employee’s surgery.
The team accomplished 5 million steps and raised $5000 for their co-worker!
There are 8 wins here.
- The employee receiving the donation
- The inspiring experience for each team member who participated in being who they believe themselves to be in the world by making a difference and altruistically contributing to a cause larger than themselves
- The experience of the team contributing as a team – one person’s steps alone
could not have made the difference
- The creation of real deal camaraderie and experiencing both “we’re in this together” and interdependency awareness
- The health and well being created by all those steps
- Being on a winning and caring team
- Celebrating winning and a significant morale boost amongst employees
- The first 7 wins leads to increased productivity which more than financially pays for the Fitbits and donation
What kind of bucket challenge could you create for your team? Consider including these factors:
- Everyone can participate and it’s easy to participate
- Timely with a finish-line
- Meaningful – towards an altruistic goal that is tangible for everyone
- Creates well-being for participants in the act of participating
- Encourages camaraderie and a sense of team and unity
- Witnessing of one another’s contribution
I would love to hear what you come up with!