I get asked all the time for team-building exercises. And, as most of us know, most activities for teams don’t cut the mustard. In other words, they’re lame.
But, some do work, like “speed dating at work”. Based on the questions, this exercise works.
Part of the fun? Instead of introducing the activity as “team building questions”, you introduce it as “speed dating questions”. Just be clear. The intention is not for your coworkers to enter into romantic relationships – but to learn more about them and for them to learn more about each other.
So, let’s get started with our team building questions, ahem, speed dating questions.
5 questions to start with:
- What’s the one thing I could do to be a better co-worker?
- I’m having this work challenge, what would you do?
- What’s your best lesson learned/best practice around X (time management, customer service)?
- What’s the one thing you think you/we/I could do to improve our team/department/organization?
- What’s your biggest workplace challenge and how could the team help?